Last week T and I volunteered to transport a little boy to his soccer games from the local children's shelter. Today was the first day that we were taking him, let's call him Soccer Boy. So I pick Soccer Boy up at the shelter (don't forget we have never met) and we head to the soccer field. Along the way I would ask him questions and he would answer, but never continued on with conversation. We got to the soccer field and Soccer Boy started kicking the ball around and I got comfortable (as much as you can be on bleachers). I sent T a text telling him where we were and when I looked up Soccer Boy was gone! No where to be seen on his field or any other field. T showed up and I explained what he looked like and what number was on his shirt and then I went to the portapotties to see if he was there. He was. And he was not happy. He said he was never coming out. I tried talking with him, Tyler tried talking with him and his coach tried talking with him. Nothing worked. Lots of yelling, cursing and portapottie punching. We felt helpless. T called his case worker and left a message (it is now almost 10pm and we haven't heard back). T called the shelter and talked to Soccer Boys in house worker. We tried to get Soccer Boy to talk to him but he wouldn't have it. The in house worker said he would be to the soccer field soon.
50 min later the door opened and out came Soccer Boy headed in the opposite direction. T and I start to following him, hanging back, but keeping him in our sights. I guess we followed him around for 15-20 min and then we sat down and just let him be (we could see him). He was limping some and we noticed he was missing a shoe. I believe he was going back to look for his shoe when his in house worker showed up. He was able to contain and control Soccer Boy. Once he calmed down he came to the car and got his things and his in house worker took him back to the shelter.
We found out from Soccer Boy, while he was in the stinky portapottie, that he was mad his mom wasn't there and he wasn't ever coming out until she showed up. He had seen his mom earlier today and she had told him she couldn't come because we have not met her. Way to set us up for failure mom! In his mind it was our fault she couldn't there. T is going to contact the case worker tomorrow and hopefully we can come up with a solution to this situation.
So needless to say, if I couldn't laugh at this I would be crying my eyes out. I am not going to lie to you, I did cry at the portapottie. But I can't cry, I just need to keep calm and carry on. While we were waiting on Soccer Boy to come around T and I were talking about how this isn't going to be an easy ride but it is a ride we want to take.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
No comments:
Post a Comment